Testing Creatives with a Bidder
- Setup within UI/Dashboard
- Step 3: Install the MoPub Sample App
- Step 4: Load and display your creatives in the MoPub Sample App
- Troubleshooting and Best Practices
This tutorial is a step-by-step guide that shows you how to configure an end-to-end test environment using MoPub Marketplace. Your account will need to be configured such that bid requests from your ‘instance’ of the MoPub sample app will be seen by only your bidder; ie: a private marketplace for your own test purposes.
- Access to a MoPub Account
- Account Enabled for MoPub Marketplace
Access to a MoPub Account
Create an account at https://app.mopub.com/account/register
IMPORTANT: For compliance reasons, you must complete all payment information on the MoPub account payments page. This is not optional.
Account Enabled for MoPub Marketplace
Contact your dedicated account team OR email firstname.lastname@example.org with the following subject and information:
- subj – “DSP/MoPub Sample App End-to-End Test set up request”
- MoPub UI account email address
- App name(s) and the specific ad unit you want to target against in the Marketplace
Your account team or a member of our Support Team will respond back when your account has been configured for end-to-end testing in the Marketplace
Setup within UI/Dashboard
Step 1: Create a “test app” and “test ad unit(s)”
- It is assumed that these apps will be used ONLY for non-revenue-generating internal testing purposes. Enter a dummy value for the iTunes URL/package name (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/fake_app_1234/id433359 or com.fake.MyOwnTestApp)
- Primary and secondary categories can be set to any value
- Navigate to the ‘Apps’ tab and click ‘New App’
- Select ‘Add your app manually’
- Choose the correct platform - Android or iOS
- Complete filling out the form with the app details
- Click ‘Save and Create ad unit’
- Fill out the information to create an ad unit to use for testing
- Click “Save and View Code Integration”
- Note the provided ad unit ID, you will need this later.
Step 2: Create a line-item which will target your testing ad unit(s)
Now that you have created an ad unit placement, you need to create an order and line-item(s) to serve a creative/tag to your ad unit. An order can contain one or more line-items
Create a new order
- Navigate to the “Orders” tab and click “Create Order”
Create an order, example settings:
- Order name: Name it something that describes the type of line-items you are creating (ie: MRAID_certification_iOS only)
- Advertiser: ‘None’
- Click ‘Save & create line item’
Create a Marketplace line item, example settings:
- Line item name: Name your line-item with as much detail as possible as it relates to the platform/tag size you will be serving (ie: MRAID-cert-Android-Phone-320×50)
- Type: “Marketplace Line Item”
- Priority: ‘1’
- Under Budgeting & schdule check the Start immediately box and ignore the other options
- Click ‘Next’
- Select the ad units you will use to test the line item
- Click ‘Next’
- Ignore ‘Audience targeting’ settings and click ‘Save’
Email your account representative to whitelist your specific Bidder ID(s) for your marketplace account.
Step 3: Install the MoPub Sample App
Install the MoPub Sample App and load creatives on your iOS/Android test device.
NOTE: The iOS sample app hosted on this page will always be integrated with the latest MoPub iOS SDK. When a new SDK is released; you must re-install the latest version from this page . The app will NOT auto-update on your test device.
- Open the MoPub Sample App for iOS on your iOS test device (iPhone or iPad) –
- Click “INSTALL”; then open the app once installed (located on your phone’s home screen)
- Once you open the app; click the ‘!’ icon in the top left corner of the main screen to to display the SDK version your sample app is integrated with. Confirm that this SDK version matches the most up-to-date version by checking our iOS MoPub SDK release notes.
- Search the Google Play Store for “mopub” on your Android test device (phone or tablet)and download/install the “MoPub Sample App”. (Link here)
- Click “Install”, then open the app once installed.
- Once you open the app; check the bottom of the main screen for “SDK Version major.minor.build”. Confirm that this SDK version matches the most up-to-date version by checking our Android MoPub SDK release notes.
Step 4: Load and display your creatives in the MoPub Sample App
Retrieve the ad unit ID you had previously written down from Step 1. The ad unit ID can also be found in the URL of your ad unit of the MoPub UI. (See below)
- Open the MoPub Sample App on your test device
Add your own ad unit ID that you had previously set up in steps 1-3
- Select the “Ad Type” (banner, interstitial, etc) that corresponds to that specific ad unit. This must match your ad unit’s size configuration in the UI.
IMPORTANT: Select ‘Interstial’ for the ad type if you are testing VAST video
Carefully enter your ad unit into the “Ad Unit Id” field
TIP: To avoid typos, email the ad unit ID to your test device and copy/paste it into this field
Enter a descriptive name under ‘Name’ (eg: Testing MRAID banner for Nike campaign). The name does not need to match what is configured in the UI
Select your new ad unit from the main page and click ‘Load Ad’. Your creative should render.
Troubleshooting and Best Practices
Ad does not load on test device
- Triple check that your ad unit ID is entered correctly
- Confirm all settings under “Geo, Connectivity, and Device Targeting” in your line-item are as unrestricted as possible
- Ensure ad unit ID device type (iOS/Android) and size matches the device type you are testing on
- Ensure creative type/size (banner/interstitial) (step 3) matches the ad unit size that you intend on trafficking that specific creative to
- Try clicking refresh/load a few times, waiting ~1 min, refresh/load again
Our bidder is not seeing bid requests from our MoPub Sample App in the open Marketplace
- Ensure Marketplace is enabled and running for the ad unit you are testing on
- Your account’s access to Marketplace must be approved
- Confirm your account’s access to the Marketplace has been approved by clicking the “Marketplace” tab”
- If your account is not approved, please email [email@example.com] with your account email to request MPX approval
If you are having any additional issues, please email [firstname.lastname@example.org] or your account representative with the following information:
- email subj: “DSP/MoPub Sample App End-to-End Test set up request”
- MoPub UI account email
- Link to specific ad unit for which you intend on targeting
- Link to specific line-item that is serving the ad unit you are testing
- Full JSON bid response that your bidder is responding back with to your test app bid requests (if applicable)
Last updated December 06, 2018
TWITTER, MOPUB, and the Bird logo are trademarks of Twitter, Inc. or its affiliates. All third party logos and trademarks included are the property of their respective owners.
© 2018 MoPub Inc.