Get Started With MoPub Self Serve UI
- Step 1. Create a MoPub Account
- Step 2. Create Your App and Ad Unit
- Step 3. Apply for Marketplace Approval
- Step 4. Connect Your Ad Partners
- Step 5. Integrate the MoPub SDK and Network SDKs
- Step 6. Test Your Integration
- Step 7. Set Up Mediation
- Step 8. Get Reports
- Step 9. Follow Best Practices
Welcome to MoPub Self Serve, our new and easy-to-use publisher UI. This platform is engineered toward automation and simplicity, empowering app developers to maximize revenue in a low-touch way.
If you have any questions, please contact your MoPub account team or visit the Support Center.
Step 1. Create a MoPub Account
Follow these steps to open a MoPub account:
- Create a free MoPub account here.
- After completing the form, you will receive a verification email. Verify your account by clicking the link in the email. Once your account is verified, you can start setting up your app inventory in MoPub.
Step 2. Create Your App and Ad Unit
Define your iOS, Android, and Kindle apps. Every app must have at least one ad unit, which is the place and time in your app that the ad displays. Each ad format you’ve activated on your app has a default ad unit already set up for you.
The more ad formats you create, the more varied your users’ ad experience will be. Learn more about the ad formats we support here.
To create an app, navigate to the left navigation panel and click Apps, then click New App.
Enter your app store URL in the search bar and click Search; your app will populate in the search results.
If your app is unpublished or is a Kindle Fire app, click on My app is on the Kindle App Store or it’s unpublished, and manually complete the fields. For unpublished apps, remember to update your app store URL once your app is live or you will not be approved for Marketplace.
Select the ad formats you want to activate in your app. Each ad format you activate will have a default ad unit already set up for you. Note the ID under the ad unit name, which is needed when integrating the MoPub SDK.
If you would like to create additional ad units:
a. In the left panel, navigate to Apps and click on the desired ad format.
b. Switch to the Ad Unit tab and click New Ad Unit in the upper right corner of the Ad units tab.
c. Under Ad Unit Name, you can select a preset name or use the Custom Name option. You can also specify any optional ad unit settings.
d. Click Save and repeat this process as needed.
To easily receive your ad unit IDs and integration instructions, go to the Settings tab under your desired app and click the Integration Instructions button. Enter your email address to have it emailed to you. You will need your ad unit IDs when you integrate our SDK into your code in Step 5.
Step 3. Apply for Marketplace Approval
Marketplace is MoPub’s real-time bidding (RTB) exchange. Use it in conjunction with networks to maximize your overall fill and revenue.
To receive approval from the MoPub Policy Team, set up your payment information in the Account Settings tab in the left navigation panel. Doing this automatically submits your application for Marketplace approval from the MoPub Policy Team. Approval takes 3-5 business days. You can monitor your Marketplace approval status in the Marketplace tab, or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
For approval your app will need the following:
- Valid Android, iOS, or Kindle app store URL in the publisher UI
- Your root developer domain listed in the Domain section of the account settings. This domain must link to a valid
app-ads.txtwith a MoPub entry
- Compliance with MoPub’s Supply Side Policy and Terms of Service
Once your account has been approved, Marketplace will be enabled for all ad units by default.
Step 4. Connect Your Ad Partners
With MoPub Mediation, you can maximize revenue and increase fill rate by making ad requests to multiple ad networks. You can only work with supported networks on the Self Serve platform.
Your network partners are set up as an Advanced Bidding connection, or as a traditional network connection if Advanced Bidding isn’t supported.
- Navigate to Ad partners in the left panel and click New network in the top right corner.
- Select the network you want to work (you must have created an account directly with that network first).
- For each network you choose, insert your network account credentials and confirm authorization to enable network reporting access.
- Click Save.
Step 5. Integrate the MoPub SDK and Network SDKs
Now that you’ve set up your ad units in the MoPub UI, it’s time to integrate the SDKs into your app. Refer to these integration resources:
Begin by integrating the MoPub SDK. We have created integration tools to automate this process for you.
- iOS and Android: Get up and running in 10 minutes using the MoPub Integration Suite to integrate the MoPub iOS and Android SDK. You can also review our integration instructions for iOS and Android.
- Unity Plugin: The Unity SDK Manager automatically downloads and installs the MoPub SDK, making integration easy. You can also review our Unity integration instructions.
After the MoPub SDK, integrate the network SDKs and adapters. Adapters connect the network’s SDK to the MoPub SDK. MoPub has certified adapters available for all our supported networks.
- Use the Mediation Integration Tool to integrate multiple network adapters in one click.
- The Unity SDK Manager automatically downloads and installs the correct versions of the mediation SDKs and the associated mediation adapters.
- Initializing your network SDKs properly is vital for Advanced Bidding; review our Advanced Bidding initialization instructions for more information.
Need help with integration? You can connect with our Solutions Engineers at GitHub Issues for help with the MoPub SDK for Android, iOS, or Unity; or for help with network adapters for Android, iOS, or Unity. You can also file a ticket through the Support Center.
Step 6. Test Your Integration
We strongly recommend testing your integration to ensure that ads are displaying, and that impression and click trackers are firing correctly. Use these resources to help you test.
- Use Mediation Test Mode, which is available through the publisher UI for both integration testing and production testing on specific devices.
- The MoPub Sample App can be used as a reference implementation to troubleshoot MoPub-SDK integration issues.
- Use device logs to troubleshoot integration issues. Refer to the instructions and error codes for Android and iOS.
- Be aware of frontend rate limiting to avoid cool-down periods between ad requests.
Step 7. Set Up Mediation
Each app-and-ad-format pairing has its own mediation stack, which will run across all ad units for that format. Mediation management is automated through a blend of Advanced Bidding (where partners bid on each impression in real-time) and Auto CPM (used by traditional networks which updates the CPM daily based on the previous 7 days of network revenue data).
You have the option to further segment and serve ads to different user cohorts based on ad experience rules, price groups, and mediation groups. Commonly used combinations of these features can be saved as a preset and used across multiple apps and formats.
- Navigate to the Mediation tab for the desired ad format under each app.
- Click Manage partners, which will allow you to add networks previously created on the Ad partners tab. You can also add new partners by clicking the drop down and selecting New Ad partner.
- Choose a network and click New network placement, and add in the requested network information. Click Save. Repeat this process for every network as needed. Remember that this mediation stack applies to all ad placements for the format.
- For traditional networks, you can add up to 5 calls to the network.
- For Advanced Bidding networks, there will be only 1 call to the network.
- If you would add optional targeting such as keyword, ad engagement type, or country, navigate to the Ad experience rules tab. These rules can be applied to the entire app or app/format combination.
- If you would like to add price floors to your mediation based on targeting such as keyword, ad engagement, or country, navigate to the Price group tab. These rules can be applied to an entire app, ad unit, or app/format combination.
- If you would like to geo-target your traditional network instances, navigate to Mediation Groups section within the Mediation tab of your apps.
- Add backfill.
Step 8. Get Reports
MoPub offers several reporting options for you to analyze both monetization and technical performance.
View the Dashboard:
- Navigate to the Reporting section in the left navigation panel.
- Click New Report.
- Change the dates and apply additional filters above the graph and click Apply. Add or move around metrics by clicking the Settings icon to the top right of the graph.
- Modify the breakdown to the right of the graph to view performance by app, ad unit, and so forth.
- The graph updates based on your changes.
Run a report:
- Under the graph is the Report section, which has been filtered by the selections made in the Dashboard (graph).
- Click the Customize button to the right of the chart to add additional metrics and dimensions.
- Once your report is complete, you can export it by clicking the Export button, or set up a reporting schedule to have it emailed to you by clicking Save and Schedule at the top of the page.
Step 9. Follow Best Practices
To successfully monetize with MoPub, we strongly recommend that you follow our best practices listed below. Please visit the Support Center if you have any questions.
- Follow our ad format best practices for optimal fill rate and performance. Integrate at least 3-5 ad networks that have strong demand for your top countries and formats with Marketplace competing. This will drive higher revenue and fill overall as well add more diversity of ad campaigns your users see.
- Use ad experience rules and price groups cautiously to avoid creating conflicting rule sets and limiting access to your inventory, which would negatively impact revenue.
- Our blog will help you prepare for Apple’s Privacy changes.
- Make sure to add MoPub as an authorized seller to your
How can we make this article better for you?
Last updated August 25, 2021
TWITTER, MOPUB, and the Bird logo are trademarks of Twitter, Inc. or its affiliates. All third party logos and trademarks included are the property of their respective owners.
© 2021 MoPub (a division of Twitter, Inc.)